Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Aches and Pains, Modern medicine, and Acupunture Manila


I’m personally not a fan of going to the hospital and getting pricked by needles.  I'd tolerate just about any type of ache or pain, as long as it doesn't require any immediate medical attention.  So it’s very ironic for someone like me to consider trying Acupuncture.  Acupuncture has been here for as long as modern medicine.  Acupuncture consists of inserting a series of needles into certain pressure points in the body.  Even some medical doctors do prescribe Acupuncture, but only as a supplement to medical treatment.  Acupuncture, when administered properly has been said to relieve certain aches and pains.  Acupuncture also improves body circulation and proper absorption of medication.  Acupuncture has little know side effects as there are no need to use chemicals.  My wife actually introduced me to Acupuncture. She has been experiencing excessive vomiting and nausea during her pregnancy and was prescribed by her Obgyne to try Acupuncture.  After inquiring and researching through the internet she found an Acupuncturist located in front of Ospital ng Maynila. Fortunately, the Acupuncturist is also a medical doctor.  After a few sessions my wife’s condition gradually improved.  Ultrasound and laboratory results show that she was doing fine and there were no side effects.  During one of her sessions with the Acupuncturist, my wife suggested that I personally try the treatment as I was stressed out from work and experiencing recurring cough and cold.  Though not a firm believer of Acupuncture, I decided to humor her and try it out for  myself.  After all, if little children and pregnant women can do it, so can I.  Besides if Acupuncture was totally bad or destructive to your health it would have been banned or outlawed years ago.  I was first asked regarding the symptoms I was experiencing while my pulse was being checked.  If your afraid of getting an infected needle, don’t worry as they use fresh needles sealed in blister packs and used needles are properly disposed.  Though I could feel the needles going into my skin they were not as painful as getting a shot for vaccination.  After all the needles were inserted, I counted about 14 pcs., I think. I was asked to relax for 15 -30 mins.  I didn’t want to move, as I was afraid that the needles might sink deeper or get dislocated.  Actually, I felt relaxed and had a certain urge to sleep.  However, I wanted to observe myself for the last few minutes.  After the treatment, I felt a little better and my coughing settled down a bit.  I didn’t expect any drastic changes after the procedure, after all treatments need to be done over a period of time to regulate the body and to work properly.  All in all, it was a great experience and I will definitely return for another session if my schedule permits it.

Teresa Chu-Uy, MD
Acupunturist
PHYSICARE MEDICAL CLINIC
Unit B Manila Bay Arcade
Cortabitarte St. Cor. M.H. Del pilar St. (Infront of Ospital ng Maynila)
Malate, Manila, Philippines
Tel. No.: (02)5741524



No comments:

Post a Comment